Christopher A. Jarvis
Attorney, Immigration Law
600 N. 85th Street, Suite C-101, Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 817-6870
Home Page
Work Visas
Family Visas
Marriage/Fiancé Visas
Student Visas
Greencard Questions
Travel Visas

2015 Special:
Canadian-American marriage:
$1,500 fee (+ costs)

How do I get a Green Card?

A "Green Card" holder is also known as lawful permanent resident. Permanent residence enables a person to live and work in the United States for the rest of their lives. The most common ways of obtaining a Green Card are 1) by being sponsored by their employer or 2) by being sponsored by their family. There are other methods to use as well, such as going through the green card lottery, a grant of asylum, through qualified investment, or a variety of other means. Our law offices can help you choose your strategy.

I. Obtaining a Green Card by being sponsored by your employer.

To obtain a Green card through your employment is a multi-step process. First, the government must approve an immigrant petition (application) that was filed for you, usually by your employer. For most employment categories, an employer must obtain labor certification from the Department of Labor. New rules regarding the labor certification process went into effect 2005. Although the PERM system has its problems, it can be very successful. (We had one turkish client we got a green card in 6 months!)

II. Obtaining a Green Card by being sponsored by your family.

If you want to become a lawful permanent residence based on the fact that you have a relative or spouse who is a U.S. citizen, you must go through a multi-step process. Processing teams vary depending on a variety of factors, including the degree of family relationship and the country of the foreign citizen.

For further information on how my Seattle-based immigration law firm can help you, please send an e-mail to me: